Meet FRED. Feed FRED your food scraps and put your bottom line on a diet.
The goal of FRED (Food Residual Environmental Diversion) program is to reduce the amount of food waste going into our landfills and recycle valuable organic resources. Any company with food or food production waste should inquire about participation.
We can perform a free, site-specific waste audit to determine if your organization is a good candidate for this program. We will evaluate bottom line savings that can be achieved by your participation in the FRED Program. We'll also explain how FRED can reduce your firm's future liabilities associated with landfilling.
Another benefit to your organization is this: FRED is a "green" and environmentally friendly program. It will make your company a role model for others in the corporate or non-profit community.
Who currently participates in FRED?
- 909 Walnut Apartments
- Adams Point Conference Center
- AMC Theatres Corporate Office
- American Century Investment Towers
- Ameristar Casino
- Anton's Taproom & Restaurant
- Balls Foods
- Bayer Crop Science
- Benninghoven Elementary
- Best Harvest Bakeries
- Blue Valley School District (2 schools)
- Border Star Elementary
- Boulevard Brewing Company & Visitors Center
- Briarwood Elementary
- Brookwood Elementary
- Burger Stand at the Casbah
- Burns & McDonnell
- CBRE Kansas City
- Cafe 1055
- Cafe Europa
- Cerner (3 locations)
- Commerce Bank Tower
- Consentinos Market Downtown
- Copaken Brooks
- Crestwood Flowers
- Crossroads Academy of Kansas City
- Deco Catering
- Douglas County Jail
- EARP Distribution
- Eden Alley Vegetarian Cafe
- Episcopal Community Services
- Erickson Living
- Ewing Marion
- EPA - Region 7
- Kauffman Foundation
- Faultless Starch/Bon Ami Company
- Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City
- Florist Distributing, Inc.
- Foreign Language Academy
- General Mills
- Hair Lovin Salon
- Hallmark- KC, Leavenworth, Lawrence
- Harley Davidson Kansas City Plant
- Harvesters Community Food Network
- Hen House Markets (Balls Foods)
- Holiday Inn - Country Club Plaza
- Hy-Vee, all locations
- IRS Kansas City
- Jackson County Government
- James Elementary
- JE Dunn Construction
- Johnson County Government
- Kansas City Art Institute
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Kansas City Community Gardens
- Kansas City Community Kitchen
- Kansas City Public Schools
- Kansas City Royals
- Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
- Kansas University 10 locations
- Kansas University Scholarship Halls
- KU Athletics Allen Fieldhouse
- KU Athletics Memorial Stadium
- Kingswood Senior Living Community
- Lane4 Property Group
- Lidia's Restaurant
- Limestone Pizza in Lawrence
- KC Marriott Downtown (2 locs)
- Mid-America Regional Council
- Mission Hills Country Club
- Mission Trail Elementary
- MC Realty Group / DST Systems
- ML King Elementary
- Menorah Medical Center
- Mr. Dell's
- Nieman Elementary
- One More Cup
- Orrick Elementary
- Our Lady of the Angels
- Paseo High School
- Payless Foods (Balls Foods)
- Prairie Elementary
- Park University
- Q Hotel + Spa
- Price Choppers (Balls Foods)
- Rockhurst University
- Republic Services
- Service Management Group
- Shawnee Mission School District
- Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
- Silverstein Eye Centers Arena
- Smithville Primary School
- Smithville Upper Elementary
- Sprint Corporate Campus
- Sprint Center
- State Street
- Swiss Re
- The Coffee Girls
- The Sundry
- The Upper Crust Bakery
- The Upper Cut Butcher Shop
- Tomahawk Elementary
- Tower Properties
- Tradewind Energy
- Trailwood Elementary
- Treat America Food Services 5 locs
- Trezo Mare Restaurant & Lounge
- University of Missouri - Kansas City
- US General Services Administration
- Waste Management Inc.
- Whole Foods - 2 locations
- William Jewell College
- Williams Foods
What are the Benefits of Fred?
BENEFIT No. 1
Be a role model for others in the community—It’s the “green” or environmentally friendly action to take.
BENEFIT No. 2
Educates our present and future community decision-makers about the importance of responsible solid waste disposal and the environmental advantages of recycling, recovering resources (including those currently put in your trash), and composting.
BENEFIT No. 3
Develops a sense of pride within the community through environmental leadership and education.
BENEFIT No. 4
Potentially reduce your solid waste disposal costs, position your facility/company as “green” or environmentally friendly, and reduce potential future liabilities associated with landfilling.
HOW DOES Fred WORK?
Once you enroll, Missouri Organic will provide your organization with waste audits, training and education designed to fit your specific needs and ensure that your food waste is recovered and recycled efficiently.
Special containers, some lined with biodegradable bags will be placed in cafeterias or other selected areas for collection of food or food production waste.
The foods waste will be picked up on as-needed and take to our recycling center for composting.
Non-compostable items will continue to be disposed of in your regular trash.
What can be collected as part of FRED?
- Meat, Poultry, Fish,
- Shellfish & Bones
- Egg & Dairy Products
- Table Scraps & Plate Scraping
- Fruit & Vegetables
- Bread, Dough, Pasta, Grains
- Coffee Grounds, Filters & Tea Bags
FOOD SOILED PAPER
- Kitchen Paper Towels
- Uncoated Paper Take-Out Containers
- Pizza Delivery Boxes
- Paper Napkins
- Restroom Tissues & Paper Towels
- Waxed Cardboard & Paper
- Uncoated Paper Cups, Plates (no lids, straws or creamers)
- Milk & Juice Cartons (recyclable)
PLANTS & WOOD SCRAPS
- Plants & Flowers (no flower pots)
- Wood Pallets & Crates (no wire)
- Landscape Vegetation (less than 4' long & 4" diam.)
WHAT CANNOT BE COLLECTED AS PART OF FRED?
- Plastic Bags*
- Plastic Tubs & Bottles*
- Glass Bottles & Jars*
- Produce Baskets & Netting
- Plastic Wrap
- Coated/Plastic Take-Out Containers
- Plastic Plates, Cups & Utensils
- Latex & Plastic Gloves
- Wire & Rubber Bands
- Grease & Liquids
- Painted & Treated Wood
- Pet Waste
- Garbage & Hazardous Waste
* But these items are recyclable!
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE IN FRED?
Missouri Organic Recycling can perform a specific waste audit to determine potential recovery, recycling and/or savings that can be achieved by your participation in the FRED Program.
Who do I contact about Fred?
Contact Christina Eglich directly at 816-888-7950, the Missouri Organic Recycling office at 816-483-0980, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your company name, address, primary contact person, phone numbers and e-mail address.